Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Food and Figure

My recent brush with Olestra has me thinking a lot about the crazy things we do (eating and other disorders aside) to try to fit into this societies view of what our figure should look like.

Just the fact that there are still products on the shelves with this noxious ingredient in them is an indicator of how ingrained in our society the "thin at any cost" idea is.

Backstory: A couple weeks ago I saw "Fat Free Light Pringless!" splashed across an inviting pale blue can in the Duane Reed near where I work. "Woo!" I thought "They'll most likely taste funny, but I'm craving salt and chips and that can is just what I need!" Foolishly the only part of the label I read was the Serving size and Calories per serving. "Sweet! I get to eat 14 whole chips for only 70 calories! Score!" Later, around 3 or 4 am, close to quitting time anyways, and after ingesting about half the can, I happened to be looking at the packaging and noticed in tiny print "Product contains Olestra". My stomach sank, literally. Since then I have been trying desperately to get my system running normally again.

From crazy small portions to add-ins that cause you to lock yourself in the bathroom for weeks, food shopping has become a dangerous prospect for the dieter.

What kinds of crazy things have you encountered?

-Meg

2 comments:

Penny said...

I would go crazy on sugar-free sweets and then have the EXACT same problem. Stinky. I also hate it when a product has a calorie count emblazoned across the front and then you read the small print and it's for 1 serving. And the box has 8 servings in it. And you already ate them all.

Apart from fat-free yoghurts I tend to steer away from the Diet branded stuff these days. Not for any virtuous health reasons, I've just realised that they don't satisfy me and I STILL end up wanting the real thing after I scarfed down a bucket of the Lite version!

TA x

TA x

carla said...

!!

Ive never done much of the olestra stuff and now? Im gonna label read so I dont accidentally either.

Id always thought people exaggerated the impact it had----obviously NOT.

Miz

Tracking Transformation: Where I stand now